Sunday, December 12, 2010

An Early Christmas Present

Last summer, Coal had some physical issues that I did not share with many folks. My vet and I were really worried about him. He presented with reverse sneezing and just not feeling good, nor working very well, but not really sick. After blood work and a thorough exam, we could find nothing wrong, except that my vet could hear a split heart sound. This is a very serious finding. He went on some antibiotics and other meds, and I only worked him lightly so that he was not over-taxed. We went back several times to the vet's office so that she could listen to Coal's heart. We thought he might need further workup for a potential cardiac condition which could prevent him from working (or worse). But, at our last visit in July his heart sounded okay. We all breathed a huge sigh of relief. Since then he has worked, played, and felt well. He never went off feed or had a temperature.  Still a nagging bit of worry remained for me. Yesterday he went back to the vet for a routine exam, and she concluded that his heart sounds just fine! This was an early Christmas present for me. I am very, very thankful.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Billie,

Sorry to had to go through so much worry and so glad is well now.