Saturday, August 19, 2017

Just Working and July 4th

Part of the plan for Spot and myself to get back on the more successful trail was to just work him. We have been lucky enough to help a couple of ranchers doing some real jobs, a couple of times. One of these opportunities was combined with our trip out of town for the Fourth of July to escape the firecrackers in our neighborhood.  Once Spot knows what a job is, and especially if it is "real" work, then he really gets into it. It is so cool to see him dig into a job. It's as if all the generations of working border collies behind him just light up and synch together. So cool. :)

Pushing hundreds of sheep through a barn sorting system was not something we had ever done but we did our best with it. What we accomplished in a little over half a day would have taken one person at least a day if not longer so I felt like we were at least a little bit helpful. I admit that I am sometimes slow on the uptake about which gates lead to which areas and where it is best to stand and approach the sheep, and so forth...but both Spot and I got better as the morning went on. We worked four or five hours just pushing sheep so they could be sorted off for different reasons. I think we stopped once for water. Spot just worked and worked, pulling sheep out of corners and various pens, and pushing sheep through the chute. Luckily it was cool out, and shaded inside the barn. At the end he heartily drank up some Energy Edge, which is something he has been reluctant to take in the past. I am hoping he will realize that he needs to take it when I offer it.

Bringing sheep in before sorting; photo by JTH.
Then our holiday began and we enjoyed a wonderful time with the dogs swimming in the Eel River again, and barbecuing a boneless leg of lamb that I brought, and all the fixin's for the Fourth of July as it should be (minus all the random firecrackers).








Spot followed me out to this rock in the Eel. Photo by Marnie N.




So grateful!

Spot looks for me.  Photo by Marnie N.


1 comment:

Kathy said...

That sounds like the perfect vacation!!! I just love to hear when our guys get to do "real" work. Colt is the same way, once I show him something real to do, he just gets it. He does a great job loading our sort system. Good boy Spot!!