Saturday, August 19, 2017

One Thing Leads to Another

Sometimes folks ask me, why their dog does a certain thing with the sheep in their training. I often say that I don't know why but I can give them some suggestions to work on that problem so that both they and their dog can get more comfortable working with the sheep. I am not a dog psychologist and certainly not an animal communicator.  I am about as dumb as a box of rocks in the empath/intuitive department although I have some close friends who are totally dialed in...it's a blessing and a curse, both, but I digress. I can't begin to tell you why a dog does something, most of the time, although sometimes I feel pretty confident, if it is a problem or mistake I have brought upon myself in the past with one of my own dogs. :)

A phone call from a friend who normally doesn't phone me led to a person who, in contrast, is very competent in telling you not only why your dog may do something but is also super competent in helping you to fix a problem (and build your confidence). We trekked back to Tulelake in June for a clinic with Jack Knox. I went to this same clinic last year and had a great time. I hadn't planned to go this year but I ended up going at the last minute due to one thing leading to another in true fashion.

Jack was our judge at McCormack Ranch back in the spring, and at Hopland last fall. He has seen Spot and me work several times when we were at our best, and also at our not-so-best. He was able to help me at the clinic a great deal. I was feeling pretty much like a person who has gotten thrown off their horse and is a little afraid to get back on. Not physically hurt but mentally drained. Jack helped me to get back on that horse. He told me not to be drained because my dog would feel it immediately, which is so true. He can tell me like it is, without pulling any punches, but also with compassion and helping to rebuild our confidence. I'm very grateful that he was available to help us get going again, and we have worked on the things he advised me to do, over the summer. I also decided at that time that I was not going to make myself crazier by trying to figure out what happened, or when; I got back in the saddle and want to just keep moving forward. One thing leads to another.

The boys and I have been enjoying a good summer. :)

Shower day glares

Happy boys at evening chore time

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Jack is so good at seeing things, presenting it to you honestly and then helping you and your dog to move up the ladder again. So glad that you were able to work with him again and that he was able to help.

Billy said...

Yes, I am super grateful for the opportunity to work with Jack. He is one in a million! :-)