Wednesday, May 23, 2018

May Happenings

Here it is not even high summer yet, and it feels like we are squeezing every minute out of every day. Sheep chores and maintenance have taken a lot of my time when not working my "real" job.

We went to Pt. Pleasant Mother's Day trial and had a "pleasant" and rewarding experience (got a score again finally, whew...). Spot ran out well, as confident as he ever has in a trial. I loved his outrun. His approach to the sheep was good, after he went to flirt with the setout dog. He, and that problem, are getting "fixed" in June. Gah. I could have strangled him. From there we did OK, missed part of the fetch gate with some of the sheep but got our act back together and made all the drive panels. Hey, we can run a course after all! Who knew? :-) The Maltese Cross with a turn in it was very tricky; the sheep were flightier than normal, perhaps due to the high winds that were blowing all weekend. It took us two tries to get the Maltese but we got it finally. We went to the shedding ring for the single but ran out of time. Still a score. Not bad except for the diversion at the top of the outrun. Glass half full.


I ran Ryme and Spot both, in a little AHBA arena trial the day before. They both got numbers, and Spot even got nice a third prize basket. It was fun to see old friends, mainly from our Pescadero "glory days". Pescadero and the AHBA trials there, were such a great venue to gain experience, one of many that we don't have any more. I'm happy to still have the AHBA venue where I can run Ryme occasionally and just enjoy what the dogs do without the stress of open. But that's another topic. How do our dogs gain experience with shrinking venues and limited opportunities? I am on a quest to work this out or else give up Open for any subsequent dogs. It's that serious...


Speaking of subsequent dogs, my little man Cap has now had his first lesson with our trainer. That is, Cap and I had our lesson. I am the one who needs help, as always. Cap is fine. He has matured past the biting phase of a couple months ago (when I didn't work him, hoping maturity would help) and now he works really nice. I am thanking my lucky, lucky stars!!!!! What a nice pup. He is biddable and wants to please, and is keen and showing nice shapes. We are just in the very beginning puppy stages but I am very excited about this boy's future. His "grampa" liked him. I am over the moon.

Not at the lesson, but practicing, Cap tore his foot pad for the first time. My baby! Another milestone. The ground is drying out. The foxtails are appearing and we are still battling thistles. Time to get some footie toughening stuff and apply it.

And now back to see what else we can accomplish today! 



No comments: