Saturday, January 19, 2019

It's the Weekend; Find Awe

It's the weekend; that means it is time to find awe. I hope everyone finds their own version of awe. I will be looking at the small things as well as the bigger picture!

We had the biggest rain/wind storm of the season so far, this past week, on Wednesday and Thursday. That has left everything very muddy and wet, and standing water in the fields where the sheep are.



We did get out to work a little one evening. Ryme can do a little bit of work again now, so I used him to sort down the sheep group a bit. He isn't physically up for a full session yet, can help me if I am smart about it. I need to get smarter! LOL!

Then I got Cap. The remaining sheep (about 20) were spread way out, grazing on the wet grass. I sent Cap for them and he got about half. Then I was able to send him back for the rest. No look back yet, just me walking forward and focusing on the remaining sheep and turning his attention back to them. He is so eager and he is a joy to work with. That new shiny penny, that is all fun and opening up new things. The forecast was not for rain but it did start to shower when I was out with Cap. Of course I had decided that I would not need my rain pants. Dumb! But luckily it did not rain hard on us. Cap did not care. He was enjoying the work too much.

I then traded Cap for Spot. We did some of the same things; some small gathers, driving, and penning. Spot was working well. I really have to watch my attitude with Spot. We have more baggage, due to past failures and frustrations...and I know darn well that if I lose my confidence in him or my patience with him, he will lose his. Friday means "dream big"; part of my dream is to find joy in working Spot again. I am the one who needs to change. Spot and I will be going to some of the smaller events where we can gain some confidence and when I work him I will be focusing on trying to stay in the moment with him. If Ryme can do some of the prep work then there is less pressure on Spot, and we can just go out and work.

 

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Spot and Colt sound so much alike. It's no surprise that they are brothers. I like you find that I need to keep myself in tune with Colt. If I remain calm and in the moment then he remains calm. Looking forward to more of your posts.

Billy said...

I hadn't realized just how much my emotions travel to the dog, especially Spot. I think Coal was more bulletproof, LOL!