Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Great Britain Travel Blog 10 - An Eye Opening Wednesday at Raise Lodge

May 15, 2019

We lucked out into yet another beautiful sunny day, on Wednesday. 

Gloria makes friends with the resident Raise Lodge kitty :)
After breakfast, we all went out again with Derek and Ludi, to train. Meg (formerly Claire's) showed us all how very ineffective we were as her handler! - LOL! I tried to work Meg but I soon gave up. With my cold, I just couldn't speak effectively enough to put Meg through her paces, so Meg won. It made us all appreciate how the kids from the college class the day before, could get her to work expertly for them. And I sat on the sidelines as an auditor the rest of the week (which was absolutely fine with me...there was so much to take in and learn without working a dog...)

Derek worked Foss (a very smooth and nice nursery bitch) and his open dog Jett. Claire worked Briar. Derek and Ludi worked numerous other young dogs. It was a nice morning. After lunch we went back outside. Holly, a Facebook friend came with a 1 year old pup who she had been socializing for Derek. It was such fun to put face to name with Holly and chat with her! Another eye opener but super fun. Lots of different dogs were worked, and it was low key and fun.

Train the dogs to do as they're told, says Derek...and the sheep stuff will appear (not his wording in the second half of that sentence). :-) This was the answer that I got when I asked him how he built Jett up into more confidence. It's no good breeding dogs who won't listen, he said (interesting/good point!).   With both my dogs Spot and Cap, I need to work more on calling my dog straight to me, regardless of where the sheep are (for shedding).

Derek said that Gloria could take Foss for the week and work her each day. This was fantastic. Gloria got along great with working Foss. I declined more dog work because it was hurting me to talk; my stupid head cold was hanging on. I truly enjoyed watching and listening, though. Ludi and Derek pulled out one dog after another, each in various stages of training and all different.

Holly and her protege'


Foss and Gloria
On Wednesday nights they have a tradition of an informal get-together to train dogs, and potluck. We met more internet friends Lindsay and Britta (who has Fleece) and all the others. Rachel came with her two young dogs. They all have two to three year old dogs who are already so well trained! It was astounding. They're supportive of one another but training to a very high level with their dogs. It wasn't all about me-me-me, either!! Gloria and I found it very illuminating. I've never seen a bunch of mostly two year old dogs, and a few three year olds, who were so well prepared, all in one place, and enjoyed by a group of friends. Wow, just wow. Both Gloria and I said how much we would relish having such a supportive training group, near to us, back home...


No comments: