Thursday, February 7, 2019

Cap Update

This is a little video of Cap's gather on the bye side (which is his tight side).



I'm super happy with how Cap is working. He is still tight on the side of his outrun, especially on the come bye side. The away side (not videoed) is much more open and flowing. And some of the time on both sides, he opens way up, goes deep and wide, as well. I am staying patient as this issue seems to be sorting itself out with continued work and distance (as I have been assured). I am keeping the faith. :-)

Cap is ready for little chores. Of course he does not shed, yet, but if I am creative I can do just about anything I need to do with him. The other day I found a ewe who needed to be marked and treated, as she had apparently cut (superficially) the skin below her jaw on one side. I am guessing she stuck her head through the fence to graze on something "greener" than what was on her side and then startled and cut her face on some fencing somehow... anyway I was out with Cap when I saw the issue, and just walked back "home" with the sheep and Cap pushing them behind me, quite reliably. We put them into the round pen where I could mark her... I went and got Ryme just in case, and the two of them held the sheep to me so that I could paint-mark the ewe and try to spray her cut with blu-kote. I ended up getting more blue spray on me than on the ewe but the dogs did a great job of holding sheep to me. Cap is one I can turn my back on and he will not take cheap shots or get in trouble. And he will defend himself if the sheep get nasty to him. I figured that Cap might learn from Ryme in this situation and I believe he did.  The two dogs worked together well. It's really nice to have another dog who can do chores.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

He's coming along nicely.

Billy said...

Thanks! I really like him!