Tuesday, February 5, 2019

NCWSA Workday February 2019

A fun time was had by all at the recent NCWSA workday...we were welcomed so graciously by the hosts. Nice field, nice sheep, good cameraderie. There were some new faces and some familiar faces. We had eight minute runs to work on what we wanted to focus on in our turn with each dog. A few people paid for a second run but most were satisfied with one run. I was happy with both my dogs. I ran both Spot and Cap and tried to work on what we need to improve. I'm super grateful for this opportunity!


A course was set up for those who wanted it. I ran the course (mostly) with Spot, but not with Cap. Spot ran out well and lifted beautifully; no help required. I am working on his steady, down, and flanks on the fetch -- I want him to be more responsive there, and so that's what we focused on. I drove the drive twice, as we never have a chance to run a set course with panels. I did not make both panels either run! OMG we (I) need more practice judging where he needs to be on cross drives...
I also tried to single a ewe and while I had a couple of nice openings, Spot is reluctant to come through...which I already knew but now I know that's what we will really be focusing on when we have a chance to practice in upcoming weeks. He has so much feel that sometimes he is reluctant. We will work on it. Keeping his flanks open and clean is also a constant upgrade/process. Overall I was very pleased with Spot though.

When it came Cap's turn it was starting to rain. He worked like a champ though. I focused on short gathers for him and just general obedience and things we've been working on. Cap is a listener! He wants to please. Some of his flanks are still tight along the sides but they are improving. His at hand work is lovely. He is getting an inside comebye flank but has yet to be convinced of the necessity on the away side...we will get it. I am using the whistles when he has already taking the flank and/or blowing the whistle when it is an obvious flank to one side or the other... the so-called "natural" flank by some. Overall I am super pleased with Cap and he got some nice compliments from the crowd.

NCWSA is trying to revive itself and I am trying to support that effort in any way I can. There were some new folks there, at least one person was there for her very first outing with her dog away from either home or lessons. This is where the club can really shine -- to bring on new folks who need support, as well as to support the long-timers in their new dogs and puppies to get them out. And for a dog like Spot, I need outings on different sheep in different places.

While the weather looked very iffy for the day for most of the work day the skies held off. It was only on our drive home from the event that the skies opened up.

A BIG thank you to everyone that made this event possible! :-)

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Sounds like a wonderful day!! Sounds like both of your boys are coming along. It's funny how Spot is better in some areas than Colt and vice versa. Colt thru nicely on the shed but doesn't understand the hold. I need better weather and open ground that I can move around on to help him.

Billy said...

Thanks for your comments! I hope you will soon have the better weather for dog work. Spot can be a very good shedding dog, but if his confidence gets tested at all, then I have to rebuild it...which I will be working on. :-)

Amy Coapman said...

I'm so glad to hear NCWSA is reviving - that club will always be special to me, as I benefitted so much from the nurture and wisdom of its members 'back in the day'. I'm also delighted to read about your progress with Spot and Cap, and of course, the wonderful news about Coal's tumors!! Yippee!!!