Thursday, June 18, 2009

Little Sheepdog

Rime is now 6 1/2 months old, and our sheepdog trainer told me that I should start letting Rime whet his appetite now and then. Rime has been out with the sheep twice before (once by accident and once on purpose) but those sessions were over two months ago. So tonight I let Rime try it again with the sheep (about 65 head). They were a quiet bunch and staying together nicely so I thought it was a good opportunity.

I put Rime on a line just so I could catch him but didn’t really need it…could have done without it. Anyway he shows plenty of interest for this age; he circles and is a little one sided but nothing severe. I only let him try about 6-7 circles and stopped him. Anyway it was fun, and little Rime seems to enjoy it. But he is definitely not focused and ready enough to “train”.

Now Coal is the backup dog. How things come full circle.

No comments: