Sunday, April 27, 2014

Ribboning Them Out

This guy is learning to shed.

Ryme is very happy about learning to shed!
Ryme is very slowly learning to shed. Only recently I felt confident enough to try it with him, ribboning out the Scotties and the white training sheep, and the two ewes with their lambs, all of them forming a sheep style conga-line that winds gently, waiting for an opening, making it bigger myself, then calling Ryme through and having him lie down. Then the next step, when sorting sheep to work, ribboning them out again, calling him through, having him take this group this way and that group, thatta-way. It's all so cool and unexpected. I am just thrilled by the willingness to work with me and improve his skills. It's not perfect, don't get me wrong but it is a milestone that was completely and totally unplanned.  The other night he chased down the group that was supposed to be let go but I forgave him and called him back onto his work and it was all OK. He doesn't know. I know he doesn't know. It's a learning process for both of us, which is what is so cool about it.

Yes Ryme still barks too much and he is sometimes a pain at home. But his work is getting better and better. The key to trialing him in any venue will be stopping him at the top. I don't know if our shedding will ever get good enough for trial standards but for now, it's farm-standard and just fine.

Wonders never cease and things with these sheepdog continue to amaze me!

No comments: